No blitz event for this one: they just show up and start playing, and the pairings are already out for the 2016 London Chess Classic. Here is what round 1 looks like, coming this Friday and starting at 4 p.m. local time (= 5 p.m. CET, noon ET):
- Levon Aronian (2785) - Michael Adams (2748)
- Hikaru Nakamura (2779) - Wesley So (2794)
- Maxime Vachier-Lagrave (2804) - Anish Giri (2771)
- Fabiano Caruana (2823) - Viswanathan Anand (2779)
- Vladimir Kramnik (2809) - Veselin Topalov (2760)
That last pairing looks like trouble, but maybe having them get their game out of the way will help them both have a normal tournament, especially if it's a draw. Anyway, it should be a great tournament, and hopefully there will be very few Ruys and Giuocos after the 1.e4 e5 overdose at the Carlsen-Karjakin match.